Sunday, March 2, 2014

Bring on the good news!

Whew, I am THE WORST blogger! Sorry everybody, I know an update is long overdue.

Well, we've been hearing lots and lots of good news -- its been such a relief! :)

I took a blood test long before we knew anything about Little Guy's development, which screened me for my chances of having a baby with a chromosomal disorder (i.e., Down's Syndrome, Trisomy 18, Spinabifida, etc.), and the results came back so positively that the doctors and genetic counselor are pretty certain that Little Guy's diaphragmatic hernia wasn't caused by a larger and more concerning problem. (Wow, long sentence.) This was just a screening, not a definite "yes or no" process, but with the results we were given, the chances are super super low. There's the option to take additional screening blood tests, but with the highly positive results we've already seen, both the doctors and genetic counselors said we'd probably see the same results. Additionally, we found out that since we've had one baby diagnosed with this hernia, our chances of having another baby with the same issue is about 2%, which is still super low and likely that it won't happen again. Since this isn't related to a chromosomal or genetic disorder, its just one of those things that happens for no apparent reason -- most a likely a weird combination of environmental factors meeting biological factors.

A few weeks ago I also had the opportunity to meet with a pediatric cardiologist, who did a thorough examination of Little Guy's heart. With any birth defect, and especially diaphragmatic hernias, since the heart is pushed to the side, there's the concern that the heart could be affected and not develop properly. Well, after a long ultrasound with a tech who wasn't saying much, we found out that his heart is developing just great! All the valves are present and working and there aren't any holes. Another huge sigh of relief! :) I know that the ultrasound techs/cardiologist techs are only allowed to say that the doctor will discuss the results after the exam, but the long periods of silence or avoiding question is really nerve-racking. The cardiologist mentioned that even though he only focuses on the heart and isn't certified to make diagnosis on other parts of the body, he did notice that there was space where the lungs should be. Yayyy for space!

After much deliberation and prayer, Austin and I have decided that we'd like to have a MRI done of Little Guy's lungs. The MRI will measure lung tissue volume and give us a much better understanding of his chance of survival. No matter how great ultrasound machines are these days, they can't detect everything -- like lung tissue growth, especially if the stomach or small intestines are blocking the view of the lungs during one of my routine exams. The MRI will also give the doctors and surgeons a much better understanding of how to proceed once Little Guy makes his debut. At my last ultrasound appoint a few weeks ago, the doctor was able to see part of the right lung but the view of the left lung was obscured by the stomach. Just hearing, "Ohh, I see part of the right lung!" was enough to lessen some of my fears. With all the positive news we've been hearing from our doctors so far, we're just hoping and praying that we hear more good news from this MRI in a few weeks.

Little Guy is continuing to grow really, really well. He's a little over a week ahead of where I am gestationally, so he's going to be a big boy. :) He's incredibly active and loves keeping me up at night. Last night he kicked me so hard that I thought he was going to kick a hole through my stomach. I see a little soccer player in my future. :) He hates any and all pressure put on my belly, whether its gently leaning against the counter, holding his sister, or even folding my arms, which he then makes known by karate-chopping me super hard wherever the pressure is currently focused. He definitely likes his space, which is growing ever smaller. Its crazy to imagine that he'll be here in about 7 weeks! Where has the time gone??

We've really started to feel at peace with this whole situation. The last eleven weeks have definitely been an emotional roller coaster, with more tears shed and more prayers said than I can remember in such a time period. But we've started to reach the point where we realize that worrying about him nonstop really won't fix anything...all we can do it pray for the best and prepare as much as we can. We have a bed and little dresser for him, and we're just going to keep preparing for his arrival as we would any other healthy baby. I'm so grateful for the peace that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings, and my knowledge that if something were to happen and he returned to his Heavenly Home, I know I'd see him again and will be able to raise him one day. I honestly don't know what I would do or how I would feel if it wasn't for my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation and my Heavenly Father's plan for all His children.

Once again, thank you for all your prayers and asking about him -- it means so much to us to have such wonderful and supportive family and friends. I'm also so grateful for all my many, many babysitters! With all the doctor appointments, sometimes 3-4 in one week, I'm so thankful that I have many kind friends who don't mind watching a busy and adorable toddler. I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to bring my curious little fireball to all these doctor appointments, especially the appointments where big machines are involved.

We love you all!

Isn't that the cutest little profile you've ever seen! We think so. :)

4 comments:

  1. Yay for good news! I'll keep praying for more and more of it to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope things continue to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know the MRI was also a tool in letting the doctors know how to better deal with his surgeries afterwards! I think the decision to go forward with it was a good idea :) And I'm glad you guys were able to get a bed and dresser! Yay for getting prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting the update! I'm glad it's good news!!!

    ReplyDelete